
(image from pioneer woman)
I've made this a few times, I always think I've bookmarked the recipe (and maybe I have, but can't locate it??) So I'm putting it here so I can stop the madness. =) I hope this is the right one??
My modifications: I usually sprinkle the meat with kosher salt, garlic powder, and pepper before browning it in some vegi oil in the pan. I chop up some onions in big chunks on the bottom of the crock pot and add the browned roast. I drain off any excess oil and use the water to get up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan and then add the onion soup ( I use onion soup with mushroom mix from lipton) powder mix to the water and mix it up then poor it over the meat in the crock. I then set it on low for 9 hours or so. Towards the end of cooking, maybe like the last hour and a half, I slice up some yukon gold potatoes into wedges and chunk up some carrots, coat them in olive oil, rock salt, and a little garlic powder and roast them in the oven at 425 till they are crispy and brown (maybe around 45 mins or so?) Then I add them to the roast the last half hour or so to mix up in the juices. Sooooo yummy. I started the roast tonight, I'll finish it up tomorrow. (I don't add celery as I'm really not a fan of cooked celery)
Here is the "official" recipe
Ingredients:
4 pounds chuck roast
salt and pepper to taste
1 packet dry onion soup mix
1 cup water
3 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 stalk celery, chopped
Directions:
1. Take the chuck roast and season with salt and pepper to taste. Brown on all sides in a large skillet over high heat.
2. Place in the slow cooker and add the soup mix, water, carrots, onion, potatoes and celery.
3. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours.

2 comments:
What an interesting idea to put the veggies in the oven first. What do you think it does? Just add the crisp? I will try this for sure. It sounds delish.
Exactly, adds the crisp and the carmelization. It was delicious and Aiden ate it right up, he's usually really skeptical. =) Missing you!
Post a Comment