Friday, May 11, 2012

It's about to become a little "nuts" around here

I should admit I've been on alert for awhile now wondering (really knowing) Rowan has a peanut allergy. It's funny when you have a "feeling" as a mom. And I certainly did. I know they say your supposed to wait until your child is three to give them peanuts, but honestly, while not a first food, I certainly didn't wait that long. With Rowan I had this gut feeling that maybe I should wait, but I brushed it off thinking I was just being paranoid. The first time I let him have a few leftover bites of waffle with peanut butter I noticed he sort of pawed at his mouth and I noted to myself his response, wondering if he didn't like the texture or the flavor or if his mouth was itchy. Fast-forward to a couple months ago he got a rash after eating some with cinnamon mixed in, my cousin suggested maybe he got the cinnamon on his skin and that that often has happened with her kids. So finally, bc I'm either a tool or I like to tempt the fates, I gave him a pb&j and what do you know, immediate hives. From that day on I've been reading labels and cautiously serving the stuff to the rest of my family being sure to keep him away until he could be tested. Suffice it to say the result of his allergy test was a resoundingly positive reaction and forever more I will be a helicopter parent I'm sure about his safety. This is certainly a learning curve and I'm sure this won't be the only post about this business.
In other news, a quick update about other happenings. Sweet Rowan took his first steps February 5th but didn't start officially walking until a few weeks later when he promptly broke his tibia. We still have no idea how he sustained his "toddler" fracture and it took awhile to even confirm it was broken as the xray was negative until the callus formed during the healing process. The next concern was some sort of brittle bone disease, which is not something I've heard of running in either of our families and not something we are following up on unless other breaks occur upon suggestion of the dr. She didn't want to label him at this time as she believed his case, if positive, is very mild and would rather let it ride at this time. Not to mention he is having his hearing tested next week to determine if he needs tubes r/t ear infections and fluid in his ears. This poor kid can't catch a break! (or his folks haha) In any case, he seriously is the sweetest, silliest, snuggliest love bug. Blows us kisses, loves to give random hugs just because, enjoys any and all electronic devices, the salad spinner is his favorite toy, cupboards and chapstick a close second. =)
Aiden started T-Ball and it's about the cutest bunch of organized chaos I ever saw and he loves it. I hope he always loves sports, it's so fun to watch him.
Anyhoo, that's all for now, pics to follow someday. Lol

1 comment:

emily a. said...

Break my heart. That poor boy and his tibia. I hope it just happens to be he had a bad fall and nothing else.

So glad he didn't have a more fatal reaction to the peanuts. I can imagine it's a pain having to read all the labels but I'm sure you're getting good at it by now.

I hope you get a break in the next few months and things quiet down a bit. Love ya.