Wednesday, May 14, 2008

{Coolest Day Ever}

So, I got to help deliver a BABY!!! today!!!!! Yes, you heard me right, I got to hold a leg and coach (well, as well as I could in Espanol => ) dab mom with a cool cloth and watch it come OUT!! Holy Smokes it was so awesome => My very favorite part was when the mom, who had NO epidural mind you, got to hold her little boy on her tummy for the first time and see his adorable face. All the pain and fear she was feeling seemed to fade away as she lovingly spoke to her little "chicito" as she endearingly called him. I teared up about a hundred times today just feeling so blessed and honored to share in such a personal moment in the lives of perfect strangers. Even though I felt a bit helpless not being able to communicate so easily with the parents, it was amazing to see the love and support two people can share that surpasses any cultural differences. It was very cool. (PS: Epidurals are Good => ) I also was able to see a C-section yesterday, which was also very amazing, but nothing like the real thing => An equally amazing opportunity I had was to assess the little newborn baby every half hour. His little heart beat so fast I had to tap my foot to the beat to keep up. ~sigh~ I have to say I was worried 12 hours would be unbearable, but found myself at the end of both days in OB wishing I could spend the night and see more => LOVE IT!

2 comments:

Erickson Family said...

If there wasn't so much school involved, I would want to work with newborns for the rest of my life!!!! What a cool experience.

emily a. said...

That sounds like such an amazing experience Elyse. I'm so glad you got to help out and I'm certain that even though you couldn't communicate so well with words that the couple knew of your love and encouragement.

Do you think you want to focus on this area then when you are done with school? You'd be great!